Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Swanger Chili

I make this chili every fall and winter. It was a staple in my house growing up, my mom always served it with saltine crackers, we like it with flour tortillas or cornbread. In my effort to cut the red meat I have exchanged the hamburger with ground turkey with no complaints.

Swanger Chili

1 lb ground turkey
1 28oz can whole tomatoes
1 medium onion
2 15 oz cans kidney beans
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Brown turkey and onions and 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) in a large pot until there is no liquid in the bottom of the pan and turkey begins to caramelize. While that is cooking, blend the tomatoes with a hand blender, or food processor until smooth (my kids and I hate the tomato chunks!) When the meat is done add tomatoes, 2 cans of beans (with the liquid), chili powder, sugar and remainder of the salt. Let cook on the stove top on low heat for an hour and a half to two hours or throw it all in the crock pot and cook on low all day. Serve with saltine crackers, tortillas or corn bread. (serves 5 Velardes)

No comments:

Post a Comment